Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Grandad's advice on petunias


Petunias need quite a lot of water, plus some liquid fertiliser.

Water them right to the bottom of the pot and put them in a little shade, although in Whitwell they need full sun this may not apply in Brisbane.

A quotation from a lady gardener of about a hundred years ago called Gertrude Jekyll [she is famous in the world of gardening [look her up, study her works and her architect friend Edwin Lutyens], they are both worthy of study, she said “do not give me a plant and then ask where to put it in your garden; give me a place in your garden then ask me what to put there”. That is, in a single sentence, the fundamental of gardening! I suggest that you remember it for ever.

Modern gardening has enlarged and superseded Gertrude but she laid the foundations. [A nice joke but a statement she meant seriously, gardening for the wealthy English, “Every garden, no matter how small, should have at least three acres of woodland.”!!!!
I never tire of making this quote. It makes me laugh still, every time I say it, I laugh at it and agree with it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment